Wednesday, April 18, 2012

opinion overflow! ED 200


I just got out of my Ed200 class and I can tell already it is going to be super interesting. I didn’t think my opinions on things like education would differ that much from other people buuut apparently it really does.

The first thing that really irritated me was this guy going off about how education needs to be run more like a business. It is nothing like a business. It’s not all about getting a profit in the end. It’s about the students and helping them reach their potential. I could tell he wasn’t from Idaho from that because that’s the way that it’s been run for the last couple of years. It doesn’t work. Education is completely put on the back burner when really it is what is shaping our future. If we don’t have a good education system, we aren’t trying to help the future generations be their very best.

The next thing that really got to me was a girl that brought up “unnecessary” classes. The one she specifically talked about was sex ed. K ya I realize that this is a touchy subject and I get that she believes it should be solely taught in homes. But how often is that really going to happen? That’s not how our generation is. There are so many broken homes and kids come from such rough backgrounds. I really actually think it’s important for kids to properly learn everything in a good environment. If they aren’t taught and are just ignorant, that is only going to create problems in the future. But if they are being taught about safe sex, etc… they will be able be able to make the best and most informed choices in the future.

We also talked a lot about public school teachers and how they are such a problem. I mean yes of course that’s an issue and it’s going to continue to be an issue because that’s just how life is. But it’s part of the reason why I believe so much in the importance of public schools. They prepare students for life. Life is going to be hard just like school. It’s going to be full of people from all different perspectives on life. It’s full of people that aren’t going to put their full efforts into the things they do. Each of us has had a horrible teacher. Each of us are going to have bad bosses. It’s just one of those things in life. I want to be the best teacher I can possibly be but there’s nothing that we can do about those teachers that aren’t so great. And I honestly feel like they do teach the children to deal with situations like that. I think that public schools are so important for the future to teach children how the world is. I really feel strongly about it. And like I said, I thought my opinion was pretty normal but I’m starting to see it isn’t! so this definitely going to be interesting to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment